Friends, staying healthy and fit as a business owner is crucial for both your personal well-being and your ability to effectively run your business. I can’t tell you how many times I talk to professionals that tell me they have only had 3 cups of coffee and it’s 2pm…or they can’t remember the last time they worked out leaving them with less than 3k steps per day. The demands of entrepreneurship can be intense, I know, but with the right strategies and priorities, you can maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Here are 12 tips to help you stay healthy and fit:
- Schedule regular breaks and downtime to recharge. Yes, seriously – put your 20 min workout on your to-do list, walk to the fridge to refill your water bottle and take a quick walk around the block while you’re at it. Breathe. Try eating a meal NOT at your work desk. Recognize that taking care of yourself is not a luxury, but a necessity.
- Maintain a balanced diet: Easier said than done, but make it EASY on yourself. Include fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, whole grains, and healthy fats. Avoid excessive consumption of processed foods, sugar, caffeine, and alcohol. If you plan just a few meals in advance and have some ideas for your breakfasts, lunches, and snacks – it will help you tremendously. Most of the time we are underprepared because we are overwhelmed. Make a quick list, order your groceries, and execute.
- Stay hydrated: Drink plenty of water throughout the day. Dehydration can lead to fatigue and reduced productivity. Aim for half of your body weight in ounces. Challenge yourself to get 8oz of water first thing in the morning.
- Get enough sleep: I know – this can be tough. I’m a night owl and enjoy my ALONE time after the kids go to bed so much. But I force myself to go to bed by 11pm. Aim for 7-9 hours of quality sleep each night. Adequate sleep is essential for mental clarity, decision-making, and obvs – overall health.
- Exercise regularly: Incorporate REGULAR physical activity into your routine. Even short workouts or walks can make a significant difference in your energy levels and overall fitness. Consider holding yourself accountable by joining a gym that requires you to book your workouts or…hire an accountability coach who can plan your workouts for you to get done in the comfort of your own home.
- Manage stress: Running a business can be stressful – there are peaks and valleys for sure. Practice stress management techniques like mindfulness, meditation, deep breathing, or yoga to keep your stress levels in check (and it doesn’t need to be more than a few min!) Consider setting aside time for relaxation and hobbies. For me, as an Enneagram 7, if I haven’t had some fun friend time I can FEEL it big time and I start to resent my business and how hard I’m working.
- Delegate and outsource: Don’t try to do everything yourself. Delegate tasks and responsibilities to a VA or your team and consider outsourcing when possible to reduce your workload and stress.
- Time management: Efficient time management can help you create a better work-life balance. Prioritize your most important tasks and set boundaries to avoid overworking. Ask for some accountability for this because as entrepreneurs, our workload and possible creativity is never-ending.
- Avoid burnout: Watch for signs of burnout and take action if you start to experience symptoms like chronic fatigue, decreased productivity, or increased irritability/frustration. Taking breaks and vacations is important. It took me a while to figure out that I can actually fully unplug when I’m on a vacation if I want!
- Social support: Surrounding yourself with a supportive network of business owners and friends can provide emotional support. Don’t hesitate to ask for help when needed. Most of my friends and family don’t understand what I do all day as a business owner – shoutout to Allison’s Basic Pitch Club for creating that positive safe space to learn and grow from other professionals!
- Stay organized: (as best as you can). On your to-do list for the day make sure that you know what you’re making for dinner, when you’re going to move your body, that your water is next to your computer and that you’re eating about every 4 hrs. Don’t skip breakfast!
- Learn to say no: It’s essential to set limits and decline additional commitments when you’re already stretched thin. I work with my clients on this all the time – if what you’re doing is making it so you’re completely unable to take care of yourself…something HAS to change. You’re going to crash and burn.
Remember that maintaining a healthy and fit lifestyle is an ongoing process, and it’s essential to find a routine that works for YOU. By taking care of yourself, you’ll be better equipped to handle the challenges of being a business owner and enjoy long-term success.
The Building Blocks of a Balanced Meal:
A balanced meal typically consists of the following components:
a. Protein: Essential for tissue repair, muscle growth, and immune function. Sources include lean meats (chicken, fish, tofu, turkey), legumes/beans, and some dairy such as greek yogurt and cottage cheese
b. Carbohydrates: Provide energy for your body. Not just any carbs though…you want whole grains (bread, oats, rice, quinoa), potatoes, fruits, and vegetables for sustained energy.
c. Healthy Fats: Necessary for brain function and overall health. Incorporate sources like avocados, nuts, seeds, and olive oil (however, it’s important to stick with proper portion sizes)
d. Fiber: Supports digestion and helps you feel full. You’ll find it mostly in whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and legumes – aim for 35g if you can!
e. Vitamins and Minerals: Essential for various bodily functions. You will naturally eat more of these as you mindfully eat healthier.
If you find all of this health stuff confusing and hard…I’m here for you! I’m really big on not just focusing on weight-loss, but on the lifestyle. My clients are not “beginning a diet” when they start working with me. I passionately want my clients to create a healthy lifestyle that feels doable and sustainable. And I want them to have FUN while doing it. Taking care of yourself should be fun, especially as you start feeling better. When you feel better from the inside-out, it flows into everything you do. Get the daily accountability support you need to take care of yourself consistently so your body and your business can shine!
Apply for health coaching here: https://www.betterhealthbyaccountability.com/contact-us
Join me for a 3-day Accountability Challenge https://www.betterhealthbyaccountability.com/3dayaccountabilitychallenge
Accountability Coach for Weight Loss & Fitness
Accountability Coach for Weight Loss & Fitness
Certified in Integrative and Holistic Nutrition
Founder: Better Health by Accountability Coaching
Orangetheory Fitness Coach